'Software index is broken' on Ubuntu [Solved]

Recently, I am going to install a software from 'Ubuntu Software Center'. But, due to slow internet connection, download has not completed and package list has been broken. What a bad luck of me! I tried to download that software again from 'synaptic package manager' but a message appear and said:
Software index is broken on UbuntuSoftware index is broken on Ubuntu
Software index is broken
This is a major failure of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f'.
Software index is broken and application download failed, updates packagelist can not openSoftware index is broken, application download failed and updates package-list can not open
I run sudo apt-get update at terminal. When it tries to read package lists an error occurred. Look at the last lines at the image above. Several error message showing there.
W: Envountered status field in a non-version description
E: Problem parsing dependency Replaces
E: Error occurred while processing gconf2-common (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with Mergelist /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
I fall in deep-thought. So, I shutdown computer and restart it. I run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install -f at terminal again. My ubuntu system fix-up its broken package list automatically.

Now I can install my preferred software from software center again. I am very happy to get all thing normal.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I got the message 'Software index is broken' on Ubuntu 10.10, I was able to type in
    sudo apt-get install
    or any other sudo command, the terminal said [sudo] password for XX:

    I had done this another time and the terminal didn't ask for my pw and the problem was fixed.

    Help?

    ReplyDelete

Please help me to improve my English. Please Email me or comment below. Thanks...